The wine press, from lat. Calcare = trample, crush (the grapes: formerly with the bare feet - forbidden by Charlemagne - later with the wine press boots). The winepress separated the must (liquid juice of the grape) from the pomace (solid components of the mash, the crushed grapes "poured" on the winepresses) and let it flow into the winepress. For many centuries, the massive oak tree-beamed tree limbs of ancient Greece determined the appearance of the wine press houses. It was followed by the screw or Spindelkelter, around 1900, the hydraulic Kelter and since the 1960s, the electrically operated horizontal press with constantly refined technology and fully automatic control of the operations. Historic presses and their working methods can be seen in the German Wine Museum in Oppenheim, as well as in some wineries and squares of the wine villages.