The Lords and Vines of Heppenheim
Gau-Heppenheim may not have had a castle, but it certainly had a fortress. An inscription from 1609 in Schlossgasse 4 still reminds of the castle, which was completely destroyed by lightning and fire in 1766. The place was the ancestral seat of the Lords of Heppenheim, called "vom Saal". The name of the site is based on the old castle property of these lords of Heppenheim. The soil, limestone and marl, is deep and rich in water. Many grape varieties feel at home here. Hikers are recommended to follow the 2.3 kilometer long wine hiking trail with information board and rest area with picnic table.
> More about the wine hiking trail https://gau-heppenheim.eu/tourismus/weinwanderweg
> Also nearby: the Bohnerzweg, which connects the five communities of Dittelsheim-Heßloch, Framersheim, Gau-Heppenheim, Hochborn and Monzernheim. https://www.wonnegau.de/bohnerzweg-der-wanderweg-3
> More about the history of the village: https://www.regionalgeschichte.net/rheinhessen/gau-heppenheim.html