In 1880, the city architect Eduard Kreyssig built a new Jewish cemetery on Untere Zahlbacher Strasse adjacent to the main city cemetery. As a consequence, the old Jewish cemetery known as Judensand at Mombacher Strasse was closed. The entrance to the new cemetery bears a commemorative plaque from 1948. Its inscription can be translated as "Erected in memory of our victims. To shame the murderers. And as a reminder to the living." Fortunately, the graves remained undefiled during the time of the Nazi regime. To this day, members of the Jewish community are laid to rest here.