Oldest Jewish cemetery in Europe with about 2500 graves. The oldest gravestone dates from 1058/1059 and documents the first great heyday of the Jewish community in Worms, which has been documented since around the year 1000. From the younger part of the cemetery there is a very impressive view of the cathedral, the so-called "Buber-Blick". Thanks to the synagogue foundation of 1034 and as the place of activity of numerous rabbis since the 11th century, the Worms community, together with those of Mainz and Speyer, formed that of the SCHUM cities. "Schum" is derived from the Hebrew first letters of the names of the three communities.
Male visitors must wear headgear.
The cemetery is closed on jewish public holidays and on saturday.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Jüdischer Friedhof "Heiliger Sand"
67547 WormsTel: (0049) 6241 82721