Knewitz__Appenheim, © Weingut Knewitz© Weingut Knewitz

Winery Knewitz

In the midst of the Rheinhessen vineyard land the Knewitz winery in Appenheim can be found. The different soils around Appenheim, in particular the limestone, are witnesses of the primeval sea, which was raging about 65 million years ago. Until today, traces of the sea and its inhabitants not only in the vineyards. This is precisely the foundation used by the Knewitz Winery, which has existed for several generations: working out the salty and mineral character of the very individual wines. Modern freshness is brought into the family business by he two brothers Tobias and Björn Knewitz. Together, they create a spirit of optimism and want to use the full potential given to them by mother nature to tease the ground to tease out the last tug of identity and rationality. The wines are to show their origin, the handwriting of the winemaker and thus reflect the terroir character of the calcareous still underrated vineyards around Appenheim. The goal of the ambitious young wine duo are wines with rough edges.

© Weingut Knewitz
logo-Knewitz, © Weingut Knewitz
logo-Knewitz

About us

  • Vineyard-area 25 hectare
  • sparkling wine
  • Maxim origin Rheinhessen
  • VDP

Contact details:

Weingut Knewitz
Tobias und Björn Knewitz
Rheinblick 55437 Appenheim

Processed vineyards

back
Appenheimer Eselspfad

Appenheimer Eselspfad

Heee-Haaw: Riesling, Pinot Blanc, Silvaner from the Donkey Trail

So called donkey trails often led to a mill and were only wide enough for a donkey carrying a bag to walk on. There are still mill buildings in Appenheim today, some of them with restaurants. This single vineyard was first mentioned in 1375. Donkeys are rarely seen there today, but ambitious winegrowers with tractors or jeeps. The subsoil is a limestone base with a light loess-loam soil on top. Rieslings, Pinot Blanc and Silvaner/Sylvaner grow on the southern slope. They stand for fruitiness and minerality, volume and creaminess. These wines have depth and power.

> Discover the single vineyard via Hiwweltour Bismarckturm
> To the further single vineyard site of Appenheim: Hundertgulden

learn more
back
Appenheimer Hundertgulden

Appenheimer Hundertgulden

Carbonate, Rich, Gold: Riesling from Hundertgulden 

It is Germany's most carbonate-rich vineyard. The lime- and salt-rich soil "Terra Fusca" was formed over 50 million years ago and was once a coral reef in the primordial sea. Today, it is mainly Rieslings that grow there, producing elegant wines with fine fruit aromas. Easily digestible top wines with a unique minerality. Carbones are salts. The current site name "Hundertgulden" probably dates back to the 14th century: At that time, the vineyard by the Westerberg changed hands several times. The new owners paid large sums in gold florins from the river Rhein. This vineyard is a real gold treasure!

learn more
back
Gau-Algesheimer Goldberg

Gau-Algesheimer Goldberg (Golden hill of Gau Algesheim)

As valuable as gold: mineral Rieslings

No, you cannot mine for gold here. Unless you are a winegrower. Because the vines from this single vineyard produce great wines. The name does not actually refer to a precious metal, but to the general appreciation of the soil. Heavy, sandy loam soils mix with lime marl and calcareous clay. This gives the Riesling in particular an unmistakable minerality and tension. In October, the people of Gau-Algesheim invite you to the "Fest des Jungen Weines" (engl. Festival of young wine”) on the market square (Rheinhessen AUSGEZEICHNET).

> Go to the other single vineyard sites of Gau-Algesheim: Johannisberg, St. Laurentiberg, Steinert
> To the Rheinhessen AUSGEZEICHNET events: Festival of the young wine

learn more
back
Gau-Algesheimer St. Laurenzi-Kapelle

Gau-Algesheimer St. Laurenzikapelle

Oh holy Laurentius, give us filigree Rieslings

This single vineyard is located directly below the St. Laurenzi Chapel between the villages of Appenheim, Dromersheim or Ockenheim. At the top of the hill is the small village of Laurenziberg and the nationally important pilgrimage church of St. Laurentius, named after a saint. The baroque church was built between 1707 and 1717, on the foundations of an Iro-Scottish chapel from the late 6th or early 7th century. The vines grow on a limestone base, overlaid with clay marl and clayey loess loam. Filigree and acid-accentuated Rieslings are produced here.

> Info on the Laurenziberg site and chapel: https://www.regionalgeschichte.net/rheinhessen/laurenziberg.html

learn more
back
Alternativbild für Nieder-Hilbesheimer Honigberg

Nieder-Hilbesheimer Honigberg

The location was mentioned in 1740 with the name "zu Hönnigen". This common vineyard seed name probably does not go back to a "bee pasture". Presumably, the name of the location by the old Weinsorten- or. Quality designation "hunnisch" emerged. However, the meaning is not yet clear.
learn more