The listed mountain church stands on the Goldberg above Osthofen. The church has a varied history and was constantly expanded and rebuilt.
At the end of the first millennium, a castle complex, which was used by the governors for Osthofen, developed from the chapel and a neighboring manor. In 1241, after a conflict between the city of Worms and the Worms bishop Landolf von Hoheneck, and the citizens of Osthofen were stopped at the request of the Worms, this fortification was preserved.
During the Thirty Years' War, the church burnt down in 1621, after which it was restored only in a makeshift manner.
It was not until 1744, after prolonged legal disputes, that a reconstruction could be started, for which the Elector Karl Theodor, as sovereign, undertook to finance the Worms Cathedral Foundation.