The double-choir, Romanesque pillared basilica with transept was built between 1125/1130 and 1181 on the foundations of the built by Bishop Burchard (1000-1025) Cathedral. The present cathedral is located in the area of the former. Roman Forum, where there was also a basilica in late and post-Roman times. On the so-called Kaiserportal on the north side played the "dispute of the queens" in the Nibelungenlied. A special feature is the gothic south portal, the portal for the people, with the figural design as a "stone picture Bible". Right next to it is the Gothic Nikolauskapelle. Inside the cathedral are Romanesque and late Gothic stone sculptures, the eastern choir was after the city destruction 1689 baroque equipped. The high altar is by Balthasar Neumann. 1048 saw the cathedral a papal election: Bishop Bruno of Tuol was here to Pope Leo IX. selected. Five generations of the Salian dukes (10th -11th century) served the cathedral as a burial place. Before the south side stood until the demolition in 1807 the baptistery of St. John with a ten-shaped floor plan.
Opening hours Dom:
Wintertime: daily from 10am to 4.45pm
Summer time: daily from 9am to 5.45pm
Please note the worship times.
Public guided tours (for single guests and small groups up to 7 persons):
April to October: Mon - Sat at 2 pm
November to March: Sun, 2 pm
NO public tours on public holidays
Meeting point Dom, south portal; Tickets at the tour guides
Group tours on request by appointment in advance at Tourist Info Worms: email@example.com