Grave stones prove that there was already a Christian community in Bingen in the 5th or 6th century. Probably in Franconian times, the parish church was dedicated to St. Martin. Since 1006 St. Martin is also occupied as a collegiate church, at the twelve clergy under the direction of a Probstes their service provided. Only the crypt under the choir and the southwest tower testifies of the Romanesque church building. After this
the great city fire of 1403, the current nave was first rebuilt. Only later arose the aisles, the northern but 1502-1505 was replaced by a double-aisled hall with star vault. This so-called Barbarabau was as actual parish church of the other, the canons reserved components separated.
In 1817/18, the abbey building and the cloister in front of the west portal were demolished: the present forecourt to the nearby bank was built. In 1885, a careful restoration of the church by the creator of the Rochus chapel, Max Meckel, took place (edification of side chapels and sacristy, tracery galleries on the towers). 1930 by Pope Pius XI. elevated to the basilica in 1944, the church was largely the victim of the bombing.
After the reconstruction followed a comprehensive renovation in the years 1981 - 1988.
On April 1, 1930, Pope Pius XI. St. Martin the title of a papal basilica. After the bombing in 1944, the vault of the main nave and part of the high altar collapsed.
Today, the visitors are again awaiting a church of special beauty