The ferry service to Mittelheim was first documented in 1348. During the Kurpfalz era, there was a regular ferry service operated by the Weinheimer Fahrgemeinschaft. The entire village was involved. There were two flat ferries for transporting vehicles and a small boat for passengers. Six men went on Fahr daily. At sunrise, three ferrymen crossed the Rhine and remained in Mittelheim, so that there was always a ferry available at each riverbank. The fee for the crossing was received by the ferrymen as wages. A sailmaster collected a weekly amount for the maintenance of the boats. During times of warfare, the regular crossing was often interrupted, as the boats were captured, held, or destroyed. The communal ferry service was abolished by the French administration at the end of the 18th century and replaced by lease agreements.
The old Rhine bank and thus the former landing place of the ferry are now located 170 meters inland. The harbor basin was created in 1904.
