Worms, Hebrews Warmaisa, was a thriving Jewish community since the 11th century. Between Martins and Judenpforte extends the well-preserved and restored former Jewish residential district. The center of the former Jewish quarter was and is the synagogue with its ritual bath (Mikwe). The first building (oldest stone synagogue in Germany, 1034) fell to the Crusades of the 11th / 12th Century to the victim. In 1174/75 a new building was built. Burnt down on the night of the Pogrom in 1938, the synagogue was rebuilt in 1961 using numerous original components.
The "SchUM" cities of Speyer, Worms and Mainz, the state, the Jewish Community of Mainz, the National Association of Jewish Communities of Rhineland-Palatinate and the Jewish Community of Rheinpfalz strive to have the Schum cities recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. In 2020, Rhineland-Palatinate will use the Federal Foreign Office to submit the nomination dossier and management plan to the World Heritage Committee. In 2021, UNESCO's decision to include the Schum Cities in the World Heritage List falls.