- regional development
- LEADER region Rheinhessen
- Our projects
- Field of action 5 Experiencing a diverse history
Napoleon's telegraph telegraph station at Windhäuser Hof
Partial action field 5.1 Historical heritage
In 1813, for the first time in Germany, an optical telegraph line was used over a longer distance in regular operation. It is the line between Mainz and Metz, which belonged to the telegraph network of the French Empire. The fact that such a telegraph line was in operation at that time is largely unknown among the population.
To commemorate this important milestone in the history of communications, signal towers have been reconstructed at several locations along the telegraph line. The reconstruction at Windhäuser Hof in Stadecken-Elsheim is part of this system of information and reconstructions along the historic route between Mainz and Metz.
In the local area there were no visible signs of a telegraph pole, whose existence is proved. The reconstruction of the telegraph tower on the historical model now represents another attraction on the designated trail.
Contents and goals:
|Contact Person:||Klaus-Diether Steiner|
|LAG decision of:||06/16/2016|
|Air flow:||22,050 € EAFRD funds|