Originally reserved to the priest only, nowadays open to everyone
“Frühmesse” is the German word for the early mass, a holy catholic mass, which the priest read in the early morning, before starting work. The grapes and wines from the single vineyard "Alsheimer Frühmesse" were apparently used to pay such a priest or chaplain. The vineyard was first mentioned in a document in 1721 under the name "zur Frühmeß" (engl. For early mass). Many Rheinhessen grape varieties grow on fertile loess soil. Loess is a very soft material thanks to which there can also be some hollow trails found in the municipality. These are paths cut deep into the landscape, created by erosion and time. Today they are a precious refuge for animals and nature.
- Discover the other single vineyard of Alsheim: Fischerpfad
- Discover the single vineyard via Rheinterrassenweg
- Information about the hollow paths of Alsheim
- Rheinhessen blog: article about hollow paths
- Also worth a visit: the Heidenturmkirche in Alsheim