The castle Neu Baumburg, also called Neu-Bamberg or Neubamberg, is the ruin of a hilltop castle above the municipality of Neu-Bamberg. It was built around 1253 by the Raugrafen, mentioned in 1253 as “Novum castrum apud Sarlesheim,” and by 1283 it was owned by Count Heinrich II of Neuenbaumburg.
On April 12, 1338, half of the castle and the village were pledged by the Raugrafen to Archbishop Heinrich III of Mainz for 1,300 pounds of Heller, and on March 11, 1419, Archbishop Johann II of Mainz and Count Johann V of Sponheim-Starkenburg shared the inner castle. In 1668, the castle was destroyed by Elector Karl Ludwig of the Palatinate.
After 1970, extensive restorations including partial reconstructions of the ruin took place.
The layout of the castle consists of an irregularly rectangular main castle in the northwest and the lower outer castle on the western side. To the east of the main structure stands the Catholic Church of St. Dionysius, which partially goes back to the medieval castle chapel.
The castle ruin is located directly east above the village.

