
First mentioned in the 14th century as the moated castle "Veste Monsheim". The present castle complex was built in 1651 by the "Lords of Wachenheim". From 1780 to 1852, the estate was owned by the von Gagern family. Heinrich von Gagern, the president of the National Assembly of 1848, was the most important resident. Later, the castle was owned by the Baron von Heyl zu Herrnsheim, and the Knauff ladies' riding school was also located here. The Monsheim Hinkelstein, one of the largest monoliths in Rheinhessen, stands in the courtyard. Today the…

The builders who had previously worked under Jacob von Landshut in Herrnsheim constructed the new, uniform church building in Bechtolsheim between 1482 and 1492. The building, which appears compact from the outside with its high gabled roof and separate bell tower, offers an overwhelming impression of space inside with its wide, light-filled hall. The choir and nave are the same height inside and are spanned by a vault with a seemingly endless pattern. The creation of this outstanding building is probably thanks to Philipp Kämmerer von…

Pastry shop, café, confectionery Our master confectioner Christine Jung surprises you every day with fresh delicacies from our confectionery. Are you still looking for a "souvenir"? Then we recommend our handmade chocolate specialities.

The soil profile is part of the Gau-Algesheim geoecological adventure trail. A soil outcrop and an information panel provide information about the formation of the Mainz Basin's calcareous tertiary.

Waldthausen Castle, a masterpiece of architecture in the heart of the Lenneberg Forest near Mainz, tells the story of a visionary builder, Martin Wilhelm von Waldthausen. In the midst of a 95-hectare area acquired by the municipality of Budenheim in 1908, the magnificent villa was built in 1910. The architectural design, executed by Hans Bühling, was inspired by Staufer palace buildings and continues to shape the estate today. The castle, in all its splendor, is surrounded by an extensive park and terraced gardens, which were once…

The historical town walk through the medieval core of Nieder-Saulheim offers a highly interesting insight into the over 1250-year history of the place. A multitude of historical buildings, all equipped with detailed information panels, bring the eventful past to life in the heart of Rheinhessen. https://www.saulheim.de/historischer-rundgang/

With the 'Elevator to the Past', the former Hildegard Monastery becomes tangible Almost 400 years ago, the proud Monastery of Rupertsberg, the place where Hildegard of Bingen worked, was burned down in the Thirty Years' War and reduced to ruins. In 1803, the grounds were then transferred into private ownership. The monastery arcades were walled up. In the Villa Rupertsberg, starting from the original monastery arcades of the Hildegard Church, the disappeared Hildegard Monastery has been revived and can be discovered with all senses through…

The eye-catching architecture of the former Catholic St. Paulus Church in Ingelheim-West represented a completely new type of place of worship. This extraordinary church building by Swiss architect Justus Dahinden symbolized Ingelheim's cosmopolitan present. The church's new construction, which included community and youth rooms, was planned under Pastor Helmut Sohns (1935-2018). In 2024, the church was desecrated and is now used as a kindergarten. In the late 1970s, the renowned Zurich architect and professor Justus Dahinden (1925 - 2020)…