Saalmühle 1

Westhofen

Saalmühle

On the right side of the courtyard entrance, there is an entrance to the corridors and vaults, which also led to a hall-like vault that extended under the cellars of the cellar street. It was equipped with benches that ran along the walls. From there, other corridors branched off. The hall is now filled in. "Münchmühle under the hall", today it is called "Saalmühle". On the Sunday after Laurentius in the year 1476, Peter Kopf received the so-called Münchmühle as a hereditary lease from Johann von Hohenfels, lord of…

Aussichtsturm Bornheim

Bornheim

Aussichtsturm Bornheim

The Bornheim lookout tower is located in the middle of the sea of vines and offers a wide view over Rhine-Hessian Switzerland. This is also the location of the "Hiwwelrast", a wine tasting stand run by the surrounding winegrowers.

Trullo am Nußbaum

Flörsheim-Dalsheim

Trullo Kreuzgewann am Nußbaum

The trullo, or rather the trulli (plural), as there are 6 of these vineyard houses around Flörsheim-Dalsheim, originally served as a shelter for the field marksmen (Wingertsschützen). At the time when most of these houses were built - in the middle of the 18th century - their main task was to protect the vines and the vineyard stakes from wood theft. The Trullo am Nussbaum in Flörsheim-Dalsheim was awarded a prize by the Rheinhessen Wine Brotherhood in 2016 - on behalf of all the Flörsheim-Dalsheim trulli - and stands at a…

Selztaldom

Ingelheim

Selztaldom

The church, often referred to as the "Selztaldom" in the vernacular, does not have this title for nothing. Favourably positioned on the outskirts of the town and thus dominating the silhouette and landscape from afar, it is an outstanding example of late 19th century church architecture. Built in 1888 in neo-Romanesque style after a construction period of just under two years, the parish church deliberately echoes the spirit of the time. Significantly, the inscriptions on the first bells proclaimed the sacred patriotic slogans of the last…

Hofanlage Kirchstraße 2/2a

Ingelheim am Rhein

Landscape-typical farmstead (Kirchstraße 2/2a)

A large plot of land in the 'Kirchgasse' north of the old Kirchweg was once held as a fief by the mayor Emmerich von Engelstadt from the Counts of Nassau. After his death, his descendants received all properties in Wackernheim as freehold in 1485. From 1819, the elongated estate was in the possession of the Michel family. The farmer Jakob Michel had the large basement barn (now Kirchstraße 2a) built in 1856 and enclosed the farm with a wall on the street side. In the process, the already existing outbuildings were dismantled. The gate…

Rheinauenkarte historisch

Ingelheim am Rhein

"The Weinheimer Ride"

The ferry service to Mittelheim was first documented in 1348. During the Kurpfalz era, there was a regular ferry service operated by the Weinheimer Fahrgemeinschaft. The entire village was involved. There were two flat ferries for transporting vehicles and a small boat for passengers. Six men went on Fahr daily. At sunrise, three ferrymen crossed the Rhine and remained in Mittelheim, so that there was always a ferry available at each riverbank. The fee for the crossing was received by the ferrymen as wages. A sailmaster collected a weekly…